4th International Symposium on Lightning, Storm
and Atmospheric Phenomena (ISL-SAP 2023)
October 12 - 13 - 14, 2023
The International Symposium on Lightning, Storm and Atmospheric Phenomena (ISL-SAP) is a meeting organized by the Laboratoire de Recherche
sur la Foudre (Lightning Research Laboratory).
This event is intended to promote interdisciplinary exchanges between scientists in the fields of lightning and thunderstorms, and to present the work in progress in
the thematic areas covered.
The Symposium will take place over three days, October 12, 13 and 14, 2023.
- Thursday and Friday will be devoted to work, presentations and debates.
- Saturday will be a day of exchanges and tourism in order to make the participants discover the richness of the local heritage (Visit of the Château de Val and stroll in the heart of the volcanic landscapes of the Cantal department with the Gentiane Express tourist train).
The symposium is open only to professional researchers working in the field, and other who contribute actively to our understanding of
lightning, storm or atmospheric related phenomena.
- The study of lightning and its effects.
- Ball lightning / natural plasma.
- Storm transcient luminous event in hight atmosphere.
- Thunderstorm prediction, observation, modeling and lightning detection.
- Phenomena link to lightning and thunderstorm.
- Lightning medical research.
- Sociological / ethnological aspects of lightning and thunderstorms.
- All Atmospheric luminous phenomena.
- Participation in the symposium is subject to registration fees (including tourism day on saturday).
- Regular attendee : 200 euros.
- Retired/emeritus : 170 euros.
- Speakers : 100 euros.
- Student/Association/Non-profit organization : 150 euros.
- Registration fee include :
- Coffee breaks and lunch buffet during the two day symposium.
- Official dinner on Thursday evening.
- The Saturday tourism day (morning visit to the Castle of Val and afternoon journey on the Gentiane Express train).
- Registration fee does not include :
- Accommodation and travel cost to attempt the Symposium are the responsibility of the participants or his/her institution.
- The Friday dinner and Saturday lunch.
Timeline & Format
- The symposium will take the form of contributed oral presentations, each 20 minutes long with an additional 5 minutes for questions and
- As an international event, English is the official language during the Symposium. However, in the context of promoting the use of French in sciences, French may
exceptionally be used provided that the slides of the presentation are in English (or vice versa).
Call to communications
- Title of the communication.
- Name, first name and e-mail of the author and all coauthors with Institution or organization attachment.
- Key words 3 to 5.
- Thematic area.
- Summary of the communication in 6000 signs maximum, including spaces. Possibility to include drawings, diagrams and
- Registrations opening & first call for abstracts : January 20, 2023.
- Deadline for submissions : August 20, 2023.
- Publication of the program : In real time.
- Registrations closing : September 15, 2023.
The Symposium will take place in Bort-les-Orgues (France), a town of 2800 inhabitants with the capacity of a conference center, hotels, restaurants, as well as a
natural and privileged setting at the entrance to the Parc des Volcans d'Auvergne.
Registration request / Demande d'inscription
Please complete the registration request form below. Once validated, you will receive a confirmation email.